Saturday, March 24, 2012

Baked Tilapia with Onions and Peppers


  • 2 frozen tilapia fillets
  • large handful of red bell peppers, chopped into large chunks
  • large handful of yellow onion, chopped into large chunks
  • EVOO
  • salt
  • lemon pepper seasoning
Preheat the oven to 375.

Spread EVOO in a metal baking dish, using a fork or brush to help evenly spread if necessary. Place both fillets in the pan, along with the onions and peppers. Make sure the veggies are evenly spread out, and not covering the fish. Season the fish and veggies with salt and lemon pepper. 

Bake for about 12-13 minutes, or until the tilapia turns white and flakes easily with a fork. The onions and peppers should soften a little, but still have some crunch to them. The onions will start to turn translucent.

Tartar sauce (optional)

Tartar sauce is so easy to make, and the ingredients should be things always kept in your fridge anyway. I don't see any reason to ever buy pre-made tartar sauce.

Unfortunately, it's a little harder to explain how to make it, if  you're looking for specific instructions. When my dad first taught me how to make it years ago, I got really aggravated when he wouldn't give me measurements. He just told me to slowly add everything together until it tastes right. So that's what I've done. Amounts vary to taste and if you're making enough for just one or for a family, but I'll give you the best I've got.
  • reduced fat mayo
  • dijon mustard
  • pickle relish
Start off with mayo as the base. You'll use about three times as much mayo as the other two ingredients. When making it for just myself, I use about two generous squeezes of the bottle. Stir in about two squirts of the mustard and about a half a spoonful of the relish. Stir together, taste and add more mustard/relish until it "tastes right."

No comments:

Post a Comment